Sunday, December 21, 2008

Touches the World with Beauty




God who touches the world with beauty,
Make me lovely too;
With thy spirit re create me,
Make my heart anew.

Like Thy springs and running waters,
Make me crystal pure;
Like thy rocks of towering grandeur,
Make me strong and sure.

Like Thy dancing waves of sunlight,
Make me glad and free;
Like the straightness of the pine trees,
Let me upright be.

Like the arching of the heavens,
Lift my thoughts above;
Turn my dreams to noble actions,
Ministries of love.

God, who touches the earth with beauty,
Make me lovely too;
Keep me ever by Thy spirit.
Pure and strong and true.
~from the Camp Fire Girls songbook...1945

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like Shinto--they believe that spirits, or gods, inhabit things of nature, like streams, rocks, trees. (Now they build shrines in Japan as well, but at first, they only put a straw or hemp rope around the tree or rock, and attacked prayers to it, on little pieces of--whatever they wrote on back then (Japan)

Jennie M. ButlerSwennes said...

actually it is a camp fire girl song...most of these are biblical, hymns or 2 are st john of the cross