Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jonah's Prayer

In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From the depths of the grace I called for help.
and you listened to my cry.
You hurled me into the deep, 
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers swept over me.
I said, I have been banished from your sight;
Yet I will look again to your holy temple.
The engulfing waters threatened me, 
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
To the roots of the mountains I sunk down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you brought my life up from the pit, O Lord my God.
When my life was ebbed away, I remembered you, Lord.
and my prayer rose to you holy temple.
Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit
the grace that could be theirs.
But I, with a song of thanksgiving will sacrifice for you.
What I have vowed, I will make good.
Salvation comes from the Lord.  
~Jonah 2:1-9


No comments: